Angels are, probably, one of the most used creatures in movies, art, theater, books, and other forms of media. Yet, very rarely, are angels shown as the angels in the Bible. Most of what people know about angels comes from the arts, not the Bible.
Hosting an Angelic Event during Advent encourages learning, Bible knowlege growth, fun, fellowship, and a way to keep the holiday season faith focused.
Families, congregation member, children and youth gather for stories of angels in the Bible verses the angels depicted in the arts. This, also, encourages parents to be their children’s main faith teacher, build a time of community, encourage exploration and help families to think of church and faith beyond Sunday mornings.
I set this up as stations to encourage everyone to move about and explore. One can have as many or as few stations as one would like. I, also, set up a cookie and lemonade table for when people get hungry, as well as chairs for fellowship.
The stations I have used are:
- Crafts- 2 Stations set up opposite in the room Coffee Filter Angel: need coffee filters, cotton balls, gold pipe cleaners Ornament Angel: including a beaded angel (kit) and wood angel ornament (I use permanet markers for them to decorate so they can take it home with them that evening.)
- Games and Puzzle Stations- Wood Searches, hidden objects, and mazes with angels. I , also, copy a picture of an angel on cardstock for anyone to make into a puzzle Angel. This is two stations.Matching Game- I have angels in art copied and let children cut them out to make into a matching game. Will need scissors to cut the angels out and bags to put their game in to take home.Nativity Rock, paper, scissors (Mary, Joseph, Angel: Mary wins Joseph wins Angel, Angel wins Mary) and a Bingo game featuring angels in the arts and Biblical Stories with angels. (Nativity Bingo and Biblical Bingo are two already made sets you can purchase or make your own.)
- Learning about Angels: Make Q & A posters (interactive-queston on one sheet taped to posterboard with answer on another piece of paper. They lift up the question to read the answer.) Questions include- What are the types of angels mentioned in the Bible? What are the four roles of Cherubim? How many times are Seraphim mentioned in the Bible? What forms do the Living Creatures Angels take? What angels have names in the Bible? How many angels are there (according to the Bible)? Do angels have wings? Are angels easy to spot (see)? What three people in the Bible does an angel come visit to tell them they will have a baby? What does Gabriel’s name mean? Were angels created by God or have they always been there? Are guardian angels mentioned in the Bible? The answers have Biblical Scripture text.
- Angel Reading Station-books, angel dolls, angel statues, Christmas tree angels (Here is a few angel dolls to start off –one blonde and one brunette. For angel statues, here is one neutral hair and one child friendly.
- Angels in the Arts-pictures with information of how angels have been depicted and any information about the artist, the media work, or the angel. A book with some information and pictures in Angels in the Arts.
- Station with name tags and Information sheet for parents on activities to do with child for faith.
- Small Child station with coloring pages, crayons, and simple crafts to make.
- Ornament Angels (display of different angels borrowed from different people in the church.)
I schedule a volunteer at each station. Every year, the ornament can be changes and other stations can be added.
Clicking on the links of items above and buying through the link, helps fund this site. Thank you.