Saints Scavenger Hunt: For a two hour period, families are invited to walk in our open field area and find saints. The saints are on a stick. Each saint has a picture or icon on one side and a description of their life on the other side. When families arrive, they get a sheet with a line about a saint. They walk the saints and identify the saint on their sheet of paper that matches the one line description on their sheet. Once they have identified all the saints, the family gets a bag of candy for each child. The candy is prepackaged a week before.
Then they can walk through our haunted playground. At the playground, spaces were pre-assigned. Our families decorated their assigned and physically distanced space. Our younger youth stayed within their family decorated playground space. Pool noodles were placed for families to walk and stay at least six feet from the haunted playground haunters. Candy and Halloween toys were tossed by those wearing gloves.
For all events, everyone wears a mask and plenty of hand sanitizer is placed about.
Other ideas for All saints: have adults take on the role of saints and write letters to young children, provide coloring sheets, and/or have a saint a day for a few weeks putting up a saint with information about him or her.
For Saint Scavenger Hunt:
- Pictures of saints (laminated) with information on back
- Handout with a fact to match & one or two questions
- Bags of candy
- Gift bag
- Hand sanitizer
- Craft sticks to place Saint in ground
- Table for candy
- Start Table
- Stick name plate that says “I am a Saint” and craft sticks at prize table.
- Make the Saints with facts
- Purchase prize bags
- Put together prize bags
- Put saints on craft sticks
- Decide location
- Set up event
- Get someone to take pictures
During Event :
- People pick up Saint handout search at start table (do outside). People come in costume. Have camera to take pictures.
- People look around field, playground and other outside areas for saints. When they find them, they put the name of the saint to match the search fact. When they have found all the saints, they bring their sheet to the prize table. Each child receives a prize bag. Adults get to a piece of candy.
- The children put their name on a name plate on a craft stick that says “I am a Saint!” They can stick them in the ground anywhere along the search area.
- Clean up area
- Put all Saints away for another year
- Move “I am a Saint” to a common place for a few weeks
- Put prizes left over away.
- Send pictures for publicity.
- Do a small write up.
Saints being used 2020
- David Pendleton Oakhater
- Hannah More
- Catherine of Siena
- Sojourner Truth
- Florence Nightingale
- Absalom Jones
- Mother Teresa
- William Wilberforce
- Elizabeth, Princess of Hungary
For Haunted Playground:
- Way to mark family area for each haunter.
- Pool Noodles
- Get families to sign up that they will decorate. Each family brings their own decorations, their own chairs to sit on, and candy to hand out.
- Mark space for each family and assign space.
- Hand out gloves to those tossing candy.
- Put pool noodles to act as walk way.
At Event: Ensure families walking event stay socially distant.
After event: Each family cleans up their space.